Did you get your G1 upgrade yet? Is T-Moblie’s network really lagging? Well then you can grab the
download manually. If you have the slightest idea of what you are doing then follow the steps below.
And, as always, be sure you back up first. Also you should be aware that T-Mobile doesn’t support
this kind of firmware update. If things will go wrong, you will have a G1 that’s not working, and you
will have to wait for a while to have your handset fixed.
Follow the steps after the break and tell us if it all works out for you.
1. Grab the RC29 update from Google here.
2. Rename it from signed-kila-ota-115247-prereq.TC4-RC19+RC28.zip to update.zip, and place it in the root of your Micro SD card.
3. Turn off your G1, then turn it back on by holding the Home+End keys until you see an icon popup after the T-Mobile G1 logo.
4. From the icon screen, open the keyboard and hit Alt+L. This will display the log saying what is happening (although you can skip this step).
5. Now press Alt+S to begin the update. Remember, the update needs to be in the root of the Micro SD card and needs to be named update.zip.
6. Once it finishes, just follow the onscreen instructions and press Home+Back to finish.
7. The G1 will reboot a few times to flash different parts of the firmware.